I must vent about a situation I found myself in yesterday. If any of you are guilty of this you should be ashamed of yourself!! HAHA
So Eric and I were at the mall and I decided that I wanted some white chocolate popcorn from the popcorn place....it's to DIE for:)
Anywhoo....I'm at the counter and this lady next to me says "Oh! When are you due?" all happy and proud I say "May 30th". (Secretly I love it when people ask me about the baby, makes me feel all proud that soon I'll be a mommy). Well the lady then proceeds to ask "Is this your first?" and I reply "Yes, it's my first." That's when the conversation should have STOPPED!!!
She then proceeds to say "Well don't kid yourself delivering hurts worse than anyone will let on. I've had 4 trust me!" I've had lots of weird conversations with strangers but this one just pissed me off!! WHO DOES THAT?? For crying out loud I just told the lady that I'm due next month, it's my first and she thinks giving me this womanly advice is HELPFUL??
So for all those mommy's out there...I don't care if it's the worst pain you've ever known in your life, for the love of God...keep it to yourself, ESPECIALLY to a complete stranger. Don't get me wrong, I've had close friends tell me their scary stories and I appreciate hearing about all of it (in fact some I've witnessed...thanks Carrie!!). BUT unless the stranger asks you don't offer up the gory details! Especially if they tell you it's their first child.
Luckily, Eric was with me and I turned around and we just laughed. That was the first time he had witnessed a stranger giving me advice. I just thought to myself if I prepare for the absolute worst when I finally go through the process I'll be able to say to the next lady..."Don't kid yourself, it's really not that bad" :)
Love and Hugs,
Michele
5 years ago



2 comments:
WOW. Some people can't stand to NOT be the one that is pregnant. And she will never have the excitement of a first again - so probably on a subconscious level she was trying to one-up you! What a psycho!
Reminds me of a story about one of my patients. She was in her mid-50's. Other patients in the gym would constantly ask her if she was pregnant(She wasn't. She just had a large stomach that made her look like she was). She said, " No it's fat. But you can name it if you want." The people would feel really dumb for asking.
She talked about getting a t-shirt that read: "No. I'm not pregnant."
Post a Comment